Saturday, June 28, 2008

Second Surgery

On August 20, 2005 I had my second surgery which was also 11 hours, but 4 of these was the chemo Mitomycin C. This time Dr. Levine took out my intra-abdominal port for drawing blood or to do chemo through, spleen, small lobe of liver, gall bladder, wedge of my diaphragm, my appendix which decided to regrow- took it all and all of cecum, some mucus fluid that was starting to build up in my pelvis not much this time and a total omenectomy. Right after surgery I went to ICU and stayed overnight then I went to a regular floor room the next morning. While in ICU I remember looking at the door across from my bed it was 7pm, the clock was above the door, it opened and walking in was Mike and my sons they never looked so good then at that moment I realized I made it through the surgery all right.
I had a lot more tubes: really hated that N-G tube, feeding tube, had a chest tube on my left side, Foley catheter into bladder plus two stents into the ureter, plus urine drainage bag, 2 j-p drainage tubes, plus IV, pain medication pump and oxygen mask, by the 5th day most where gone. I had some nerve damage done to my left leg found out when they first tried to help me out of bed; I collapsed onto the chair barely making it. I could not feel or use my left leg from my knee down complication from a long surgery and due to the position of my leg. He ordered me physical therapy while in the hospital. Could not lift my leg if my life depended on it; had to exercise it regularly. I needed help to get up from the bed or chair and I had to use a walker while in the hospital, at home I used a cane for walking for a while. My appetite was still less than desirable, but finally the day came when they took out the feeding tube, yeah. The feeding tube and the N-G tube where uncomfortable glad when both were out I was able to breathe better. The ride home was longer this time thirty minutes depending on the traffic. I remember the morning well Dr. Levine said I would go home if I got up more that day and walked. He also said it might be later in the day. All my tubes and finally the I.V.’s came out. Sam came in that day and heard so he got me up and walking. The second time we walked down the hall away from the nurses’ station I started a little dancing jig saying I’m going home, I’m going home. Sam and I were laughing. The nurse came in and said no you are going home in the morning, I said no I’m going home tonight Dr. Levine said I would.
One half hour later his intern came in tired looking he had a long day. He said I was ready to go home when I saw you dancing in the hall and singing with your son and decided to send you home tonight. Sam had all ready left so I had to call Mike to come and get me. I was really happy to go home and sleep in my bed with my pillows. I forgot to bring them with me again.

No comments: