Saturday, June 28, 2008

2nd Recovery

Most of 2005 I don't remember, parts of 2006 and 2007. Fell 3 times when I had gotten home chalked it up to a new learning experience, on what not to do with my weak knee. Took time with my walking at first, always looking down to see where I was going and to make sure I would not fall. I know I was sick and some of my pictures I look like death warmed over, but I survived. Having 2 surgeries within 4 months of each other took a toll on my body and strength; I was overweight to begin with I had lost some weight. Really my appetite disappeared until Jan 2006 then it came back, gained the weight I had lost due to surgery and chemo. I slept most of 2005 away, tired, no appetite, but slowly I came back. I slept downstairs on an inflatable bed for the first surgery it was 2 months or longer. I couldn't go up the stairs in the house. We have 15 steps going up to the second level I still remember the first time I did that took each step one at a time using my right leg first. It took me a while to go upstairs then I lay down on the bed, which felt so good I went to sleep for an half an hour. When I got up I went an took a shower, the slowest one I ever had, then laid back down on the bed and went to sleep for another half an hour. With my left knee weak, I still had to exercise it I would do them on the bed laying down or while sitting in the chair. Could not stand long enough to cook dinner, do the dishes, do laundry, run the sweeper, dust or anything. We did go to San Diego for a short vacation in July 2005 before the second surgery. It was nice to relax beside the pool. Just started to recover then I had the other surgery 4 months after the first. The 2nd surgery I felt better quicker but still had difficulty doing things around the house. Company came for a week. Mike was away on business he had to go and finish the job he had started. Really depended upon my 2 sons then planned for company to be there for the weekend, but found out it was for a week. That really took a lot of energy out of me then to try and be pleasant is hard when you really don’t feel well. Sons did the cleaning and cooking as much as possible. So it was hard, I still slept a lot, and was dizzy; realized that it was from the medications needed to take pills with food. That was then and things have gotten much better. It took me a year and half to fully recover from the surgeries. They say you need I month of full recovery for each hour you are under anesthesia. I still have problems get short of breathe and tired when doing too much. Asthma only smoked all together 1 packs of cigarettes in my whole life if. My dad did smoke up to 4 packs a day when he stopped I lived at home until I was 24and both brothers smoked. When I started working there was only 3 of us who did not smoke .There are now plenty studies out now about the effects of second hand smoke… causes asthma. Get tired spells, just takes me over and have to sleep. Will be getting that checked out.

No comments: