Saturday, June 28, 2008

Giving Thanks

Thank God for Mike and my sons. How he hates the hospital he was with me every day, as much as he could. He and Sam would take turns staying the night for the second surgery. Mike was with me most of the time for the surgeries, but I could see how it was affecting him. He looked tired, worried, but he never said he was. He kept saying you are going to be all right. He was my strength and my rock through all of this. I remember my appetite was lousy and I got hungry for a strawberry milkshake from Cook Outs and a slice of New York pizza. He went and got them for me with the doctor’s ok. Doctor said anything that would help me eat and help start moving the bowels would be all right. Cookout and New York Pizza are on opposite sides of the city, but he went for me. I will never forget what all he had done for me. Mike did everything for me, encouraging me to eat, encouraging me to walk, helping me with everything and then he did all the things I used to do in the house. He cooked, cleaned, did the laundry, run the sweeper everything. I am blessed to have him as my husband, friend and lover. My boys really did the best they could, they also hate hospitals I am proud of them for helping their dad out when he needed them the most. They are the future; they gave me a different source of strength and courage to fight on just by looking at them and seeing the future in their eyes.
To the question of "Why Me?"..."Why not?" God will not give me more then I can handle and with Him I can handle what is given. It took some time to really understand that, but I know now that I can handle what is given to me. I did not say that it would be easy, sometimes it might be but this time it was hard ...to really face death and to come to terms with it, accept it and say ... I am ready to die. You never know what the outcome will be when you go to surgery. You expect to come out, but some don't. Never under estimate the power of prayer, so many people prayed for me and I am thankful they did.
Really how do we know where we will be in 5, 10 or 20 years? God willing I will be around to make it for 10 years after surgery. I will be 62 years old...oh my I will be getting old. Lol :) I did have my doctor from Duke University and the other from Wake Forest Medical Center. I had the best with out even realizing it at the time. Prayer does wonders. I could not have survived with out faith in God and know that there is a plan for me; it might not be the one I had in mind, but his.

No comments: